Although I’m not a mother, but I have one. And I know how difficult it is for her to take care and provide an income for my family. So to all the mothers out there that have to stay at home and take care of your kid, but at the same time you would like to earn an extra income at home, you have come to the right place!
However, working from home doesn’t mean you can slack off and be expected to get paid. Most of them require hard work and dedication before seeing results. If you really want to make money at home, or even come to the point of making a passive income every month, you can do it!
I’m going to list down all the kinds of work at home jobs. Many of these are real jobs that require you to put in effort if you want to get paid. Here are some tips when you want to get a job online.
- Take it seriously. You’re applying for an online job, but it’s no different from a real job. You are working from home but that doesn’t mean it’s not a “real job”. You are not the only one who wants the job, there is a lot of competition online too.
- Be professional. When you submit a resume online, give a good one. It’s the same as when you are applying for a job outside. Write in complete sentences with proper grammar, put a real photo of yourself, share your experience but don’t tell them your life story. Now they will think you’re ready for the job, impression is very important as well!
- Work hard. There will be a time where you feel that you’re making enough money online, even more than the typical “9-5” job, but in order to achieve that you must first work hard and keep pushing on even if you feel like giving up. Remember, “when you feel like giving up remember why you started”.
Blogging is one of the most popular ways to make a passive income online. Did you know that other than sharing stuff on the internet, blogging can also be a source of income? Firstly, I’m a blogger so it seems wrong not to mention it, but most importantly I love blogging and I make a living out of it! Blogging requires patience, persistence and discipline. It may take months or years to build up your blog/website to start making a decent amount of income. Many successful bloggers took years to build up their blog, before making a ton of money. Arianna Huffington, the founder of The Huffington Post is currently the top earning blogger at $2,330,00 per month!
Let’s say if the internet is a country, then websites are like real estates. You should know by now that real estates are valuable in the physical world, so online “real estates” work the same way. By building up your own website, you’re creating your own plot of “land”. You can fill this land with whatever you want but it must be able to deliver value to people.
Once you gain a sufficient amount of visitors to your blog, there are just so many ways you can use your blog and start making money. I’m going to list down some of the ways you can monetise your blog:
- Affiliate Marketing – So what is Affiliate Marketing? Affiliate Marketing is the process of earning a commission by promoting other people’s (or company’s) products. They are many Affiliate Networks like Amazon Associates , Rakuten Affiliate Network, etc that allows you to promote other people’s products and services to earn revenue. You will put an affiliate link or banner on your site and when someone click through your link or banner and purchases the product, you receive a commission.
- Advertising – You can sell advertising spots directly on your site or you can sign up with advertising companies like Google AdSense or Media.net (Yahoo and Bing).
- Products – You can create your own products like an ebook and selling it to people on your website. You just need to create a legitimate product that has value and people will eventually buy your products.
- Membership area – You can create a paid membership area on your Blog that have exclusive content that can be only access if someone pay money for it. Just make sure that the content inside the “members area” must have sufficient value to be worth the money. You can create something that can’t be easily found on the web.
- Services- This is the stage when you already gain success and you know that you’re ready to teach people. You can offer a paid service, for example like life coaching, blog coaching or financial planning. Just make sure to check al the legal implications and make sure you be honest with people. Don’t claim to be a professional if you’re not one.
- Sponsored posts – Many blogs publishes sponsored and paid posts. Sponsored posts are basically just posts about a specific brand, product or service. A company will pay you to publish an article about it. You’re basically selling a spot for the article on your site. If you have decided to take this route, you would want to build up your traffic first so that you will get many offers from companies.
- Subscription – Think of something valuable (For example: newsletter, ebook, etc.) that you can consistently offer on a certain basis (weekly, monthly, etc.), you may want to offer a subscription service. This could be a fee charged each time your product is sent out or on a monthly basis. Either way, this has to be something that your customers can only get by subscribing to your website.
- Videos – This could be another section on it’s own. So many people have made money by creating YouTube videos. Evan of EvanTube is a kid that has made millions by creating reviews of products that other kids his age would use. It’s not easy to get views into the millions, but once you do, you’ll be able to start making money. Many bloggers have completely turned to videos to get their point across by starting a video blog.
2. Work at Home Companies
There are some companies that will hire you to work from home. If you’re interested in working for someone else, while you can make your own schedule, here are some companies that will allow you to do that,
- CrowdSource – CrowdSource offers many types of jobs from “microtask” jobs to larger writing and editing jobs. You decide how much you work and you can do most of it right at your computer.
- Demand Studios – Demand Studios is hiring all kinds of creative professionals, from writer to filmmakers. The pay isn’t amazing, but it’s competitive for a work-at-home job.
- Fast Chart – Fast Chart allows you to work from home as a medical transcriptionist. There are some requirments and qualifications listed on the page, but if you meet them, you’ll make competitive pay for the industry. You’ll also be able to set your own schedule since you’ll be working from home.
- Leap Force – Leap Force is one way that Google rates websites for search engine ranking. If you’re hired, you make decent money (usually over $11/hour), you set your own schedule and it can be pretty fun to view and rank websites.
- Liveops – Liveops is a call center that allows you to work from home. Once your set up to take the calls, you can begin making a weekly schedule and working from home. The pay is generally close to $10/hour, but you can earn more with commissions.
- SpeakWrite – SpeakWrite will pay you up to $15/hour to transcribe information. You set your own schedule and work from home.
If you see something that really interests you, you can try it out and learn more about it. If you really want to make a decent amount of money online, you need to be dedicated to learning how to do what you want to do. There are tons of free resources out there. You just have to search for them!
3. Freelance Writing
If you love writing than this is the job for you! It is one of the most popular way to make money online too. Many successful freelancers can earn an average of 50cents to a dollar per word, some even more!
You should be interested in writing when you take on this job, because if you’re doing it just for the money, I don’t think it will work out in the long run. It takes dedication and time for this to work. In my opinion, before you start reaching out to the freelance writing companies, you need a blog to start or you could have an online portfolio. You can also have a LinkedIn profile to get started with. You can learn how to be a freelance writer here. When you’re ready to start you can use these 50 resources to help you write better!
Once you’re really to start making money, here are some websites you can start with,
- Listverse – Listverse pays $100 for each accepted post. The article must be a list, it must be at least 1,500 words and you must include at least 10 things. Other than that, you can get pretty creative with it.
- A List Apart – A List Apart pays $200 for each accepted post. They’re not first on the list, because they tend to publish less articles, which means you have a smaller chance of getting accepted. Same guidelines as above, 1,500 word minimum.
- International Living – International Living pays $75 for each accepted post. They are mostly looking for travel experiences from countries you have visited. For this site, it’s more about your experience than your writing ability. If you love traveling this would be the site for you!
- FundsforWriters – FundsforWriters pays $50 for each accepted post. They are looking for articles about writing and making money with it. They only accept articles between 500-600 words, but they want you to make each word count.
- Uxbooth – Uxbooth pays $100 for each accepted post. They do tend to take four to eight weeks to accept and post articles, so don’t count on this being a quick money maker. They take so long, because they pair with editors to only publish amazing content.
- iWriter – iWriter pays up to $15 for each accepted post. That may seem small, but they aren’t as strict as many of the others above and they also allow you to pick exactly what you write. You can write as many or as few articles as you want.
- Textbroker – Textbroker pays up to five cents per word, if you’re a 5-star writer. You’ll start by submitting a short sample article and you will most likely start as a 3-star writer, but you can work your way up by writing more and writing great content.
- Matador Network – Matador Network pays up to $60 for each accepted post, but standard pay is around $20-$25. They don’t really focus on a minimum word count, but they have a maximum count of 1,500 words.
- The Penny Hoarder – The Penny Hoarder pays up to $800 (rarely), depending upon the number of page views you receive. The pay starts at $100 for 50,000 page views, so this isn’t a guaranteed paid article, but it can potentially be highly rewarding.
Always remember this, you can make money with freelance writing but it takes time. Once you start building your portfolio and your writing skills, you can start making a ton of money. If you’re not an experience writer, you should put in some more time to practice!
4. Websites That Pay Money
These are websites that will pay you for various things, such as shopping, taking surveys or testing products. It won’t make you rich, but it’s great for earning some extra money.
Here are some websites that you can start earn money from,
- Swagbucks – This is great for earning some money in your free time. You can do many things to make money, just by taking surveys and using their search engine. You can read my full review on Swagbucks here.
- InboxDollars – It is similar to Swagbucks as you’re going to be taking surveys, shopping, etc. If you want to maximise your return you can sign up with both websites. These are other “get paid to take surveys” sites, you can check them out GlobalTestMarket, E-Poll Surveys and SurveyClub
- UserTesting – Get $10 via PayPal for every 20-minute video you complete. UserTesting pays you to visit websites or apps, complete a set of tasks, and speak your thoughts aloud.
- IZEA – IZEA works in addition to a blog or on its own. You get paid to blog, tweet, take photos and take videos. The pay is mostly based on your following, so if you want to make money with your tweets, you’ll need to grow you Twitter following. Likewise, if you want to make money with blogs, you’ll need substantial blog traffic.
- Fiver – Fiverr is a global online marketplace offering tasks and services, beginning at a cost of $5 per job performed, from which it gets its name. The site is primarily used by freelancers who use Fiverr to offer services to customers worldwide.
To all the moms, remember all these jobs requires time and effort for it to work! 🙂